New Direction - Let's Talk about Pain

Well, it has been a while since I have written. 

A lot has happened in the last year or so. Last summer, I decided to pursue further education. But, you may ask, why would you do this to yourself? Since becoming a Kinesiologist, I have noticed that I attract a particular client. My clients always seemed to have a history of complex pain, whether fibromyalgia, chronic non-specific back pain, or chronic shoulder pain. PAIN is the common factor here. Then it dawned on me... how much do I really know about pain. 

That being said, I applied to the University of Western Ontario for a Master's of Clinical Science - Interprofessional Pain Management. This is a new program introduced to Western only a few years ago. But I am proud to say that I am the first Kinesiologist to be accepted into the program. 

 I have decided to use this blog to record my journey, thoughts and knowledge through this Master's program. Some topics I plan to address: 
  • Motivational Interviewing 
  • Physiology of pain 
  • Pain assessment 
  • Acute vs chronic 
  • Interprofessional Practice 
  • Empathic practice and therapeutic alliance 
  • ... and more 

My goal is to encourage other practitioners to better their pain practice. I believe that pain is an enormously misunderstood, complex experience that many patients/clients experience. Therefore, it is vital that, as practitioners, we have appropriate resources to refer to when needed. 

Yours truly, 
Meg

Comments

Popular Posts