How Sleep Affects Your Workout

This post was inspired by a fellow trainer. We were talking and I was explaining that I was not able to lift as much weight as I normally would. He said something that blew my mind! “How did you sleep last night?”. Then it dawned on me – why have I not thought of this before, OF COURSE sleep affects how much I can lift. Without a good night’s sleep your body is left feeling fatigued and stressed (trying to manage alternative ways to provide your body energy). Sleep is so important in the recovery process when it comes healing the body and the systems within. Not giving your body the time, it needs to recover properly before your next workout could mean a risk for injury, strain or like me a lack of strength. I am not saying if you haven’t gotten a good night's sleep to not work out, but I am saying be more conscious of your body and how its feeling. Try a lighter workout, or a shorter run, so that your body has some more time to recover and is not exposed to stress after stress. I think that I knew this but never really thought about it. So, I am sharing this with you and I hope it makes you look at sleep in a whole new light! Don’t take life too seriously, Meg

Comments

Popular Posts